Save Useful Queries with Honeycomb PlaylistsBy Christine Yen | Last modified on January 11, 2019
Update: this feature is now called Boards but functions the same way–check out “Sharing Honeycomb queries is even better with Boards” for the details
Here at the Hive, we’ve been hard at work on a better way for folks to collaborate while debugging their services. We’re on a mission to help teams to not just move faster with better data, and a lot of that manifests by making shared knowledge accessible, like:
- How did Ben figure out which customers would be most impacted by yesterday’s unrolling-nested-JSON fix?
- How is Eben tracking performance for that one customer struggling with Logstash delays?
- What queries did Charity run last week to dig into that sudden increase in MySQL latency?
To that end, we’re introducing Playlists: a way to create collections of useful Honeycomb queries for both your own use and your teammates’ benefit.
We think Playlists are particularly helpful for two use cases:
- Post-mortems: capturing the trail produced by an active investigation
- Entry points: capturing a set of high-level “how’s my system doing?” query results.
Queries can be added to a playlist within the query interface itself, or by editing a playlist directly. Playlist permalinks are eminently shareable, just like query permalinks themselves!
Create ‘em, send ‘em around, dig in and get your hands dirty. Honeycomb isn’t for passive consumption :) so use these playlists to capture interesting jumping-off points and dive into queries to iterate and ask new questions.
Sign up and try Honeycomb today!
We're delighted to introduce our new Ingest API Keys, a significant step toward enabling all Honeycomb customers to manage their observability complexity simply, efficiently, and...
At Honeycomb, we are very concerned about privacy and data sovereignty—it’s something we take very seriously, and in an effort to serve our customers better,...
Today marks an exciting milestone at Honeycomb, and we're thrilled to share it with you. We officially launched our integration with Microsoft Teams, a step...